On 11/15/10 12:01 PM, Jeroen Demeyer wrote:
On 2010-11-15 12:06, Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
There are to my knowledge a few problems with making binaries with Sage

5) It is way too verbose.  I have a log file of sage -bdist which is
12MB in size!

I suspect a lot of that is due to tar being used with the 'v' option.

I agree with all your points, except perhaps about the compression
programs.  I think the most sensible thing would be to have an option
creating an *uncompressed* tar file, then the user can apply whatever
compression he wants afterwards.  No need to complicate sage-bdist with
all possible existing compression programs.

Jeroen.

That would break the current behavior, it if was left as a tar file.

It *might* also mean the amount of disk space needed to create the binary increases - though I'm far from certain about that.

What do others think? I don't have any strong views myself, but then I'm not the one creating the binaries. But we should be able to automate all this.

Dave