Hi!

Since I observed a massive performance drop on the machines that I
have at my university, I considered the following test function (in a
file "overhead.py") for the Singular pexpect interface:

def test(n):
    st = singular.cputime()
    ct = cputime()
    wt = walltime()
    for i in range(n):
        a = singular(i)
    print "Wall time:      ", walltime(wt)
    print "Total CPU:", cputime(ct)+singular.cputime(st)

On bsd.math, I get
sage: attach "overhead.py"
sage: test(1000)
Wall time: 0.261538028717
Total CPU: 0.331918

On some machines at my university, I get something like
sage: attach "overhead.py"
sage: test(1000)
Wall time: 59.9999949932
Total CPU: 0.05

The CPU time is better than on bsd.math, but the overhead is abysmal
(remark: My test was the only application running on the machine)!

Unfortunately I don't know what one could do in order to improve the
performance of the pexpect interface and reduce the overhead.

Can you give me some hints that I can forward to our administrators?
How can one achieve a better performance, e.g., what hardware
components might be added/replaced, would it be better to abandon
Ubuntu, are there hardware switches that might help?

The machines are
1.
Linux mpc721 2.6.32-24-server #43-Ubuntu SMP Thu Sep 16 16:05:42 UTC
2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Four Dual Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processors 270, 1800.000MHz

2.
Linux mpc622 2.6.34.linuxpool #0 SMP PREEMPT Wed May 19 16:32:19 CEST
2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU         530  @ 2.93GHz

Best regards,
Simon