This is on mod.math.washington.edu.

burha...@mod:~$ uname -m
x86_64

E = 2^(10^10)

works fine on the subsequent attempts. I wonder why the error on the first attempt.

On Sun, 5 Dec 2010, John Cremona wrote:

On a 64-bit machine I can compute 2^)10^10) with no trouble.

On a 32-bit machine I get a more explicit error message than you reported:

RuntimeError: exponent must be at most 2147483647

which answers your question.  Note that this number is 2^31-1, and
that 10^10 is larger than that by a factor of about 4.6.

John

On Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 5:15 PM, Iftikhar Burhanuddin