> > in Mathematica (and maybe something like it in Sage).
> >  Expand[(x^(2^(2^29))+1)^2]

Sage uses Ginac/Pynac for this.  It just hangs:

sage: expand((x^(2^(2^29))+1)^2)
^C

Unhandled SIGSEGV: A segmentation fault occurred in Sage.
This probably occurred because a *compiled* component
of Sage has a bug in it (typically accessing invalid memory)
and is not properly wrapped with sig_on(), sig_off().
You might want to run Sage under gdb with 'sage -gdb' to debug this.
Sage will now terminate (sorry).

Here is Maxima.

Maxima 5.22.1 http://maxima.sourceforge.net
using Lisp ECL 10.4.1
Distributed under the GNU Public License. See the file COPYING.
Dedicated to the memory of William Schelter.
The function bug_report() provides bug reporting information.
(%i1) expand((x^(2^(2^29))+1)^2);

Maxima encountered a Lisp error:

 Memory limit reached. Please jump to an outer pointer, quit program
and enlarge the
memory limits before executing the program again.

Automatically continuing.
To enable the Lisp debugger set *debugger-hook* to nil.

For obvious reasons, I guess.  Too bad one couldn't just let it remain
completely symbolic...

sage: var('a,b,c')
(a, b, c)
sage: z = (x^(2^(2^c))+1)^2  # fine so far :)
sage: for i in range(30):
....:    print i
....:    z.subs(c=i)
....:

gives some lovely output, but as far as I can tell you don't even have
to expand in Pynac to cause this - nor in Maxima.

But it is a shame that even though expand does have a sig_on around
the Ginac piece, it still doesn't seem to fail as quickly as Maxima -
which to my mind is not a feature, either; if it's too big for memory,
it should let us know that nice and quickly.

- kcrisman