On Sat, Dec 25, 2010 at 11:16 PM, Dima Pasechnik <dimp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 26, 11:03 am, Mag Gam <magaw...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I will compile boost my self. But why the cropped? is it because of
>> license, size, compile time, etc..?
>
> The subset of boost needed for polybori, another spkg (Sage package),
> is included in Sage.
> One can probably easily create a version of boost spkg that includes
> more of boost.
> (just replace what sits in src/ in the current spkg with whatever you
> like, etc...)
>
> There are no problems with the license.
> On the other hand, having extra 40Mb in the Sage download would need a
> good justification.

It makes no sense to include boost standard in Sage, just because
parts of it tend to be useful.  There would have to be a very
compelling case for why it is needed for something else specific that
is included in Sage.    It could make sense to have an official
optional boost spkg.

I spent some time recently making spkg's so I can build mongodb from
source, which I posted here:

   http://purple.sagemath.org/packages/optional/mongodb/

One of the main depencies for mongodb is boost, and you'll find a
boost spkg above, which works for me on Linux and OS X, at least for
building Mongodb.   You'll also find that I packaged boost version
1.40.0, which is maybe a year old, rather than the much newer versions
of boost available at the boost site.    It turned out that _most_ of
the difficulty in getting the latest mongodb to build was figuring out
which old out of date boost it would build against!  And 1.40.0 is it.
 Any newer version has changed so much, that mongodb doesn't work on
top of it.   Boost is under active development still, but most distros
have an older version, which is why mongodb does fine building with
them, but not the latest boost.

So even if boost were included in Sage, the question of *which* boost
is needed for a given optional package to build is nontrivial.

 -- William