I like this a lot -- here are some of my thoughts:

> In this context, the word "software" probably does not bring much
> information. What about replacing the bottom line by, say
> ``Mathematics in Python''?

What about "Open-source, research-grade mathematics" ?  or "Open
source mathematics software"?

> Sure, that's not quite correct, and we could use help with people
> having experience in C/Javascript/... but that could attract
> developers "Hey, I am a python fan, and I remember some cool math
> classes; maybe I could be useful to them".

I also was thinking about why a programmer might want to become
involved.  I think there's an argument to be made that mathematics
software naturally motivates some of the most challenging "pure"
problems in computer science and programming.  Factoring large
numbers, multiplying polynomials, computing decimal expansions of pi,
coloring graphs, etc -- these are not just curiosities for sage, but
central parts of its mission.  Of course some of these already have
very good solutions in sage, but maybe we could come up with a more
serious list of programming problems.  One good start could be
"Implement the following algorithms...", another could be "Improve
interfaces for...".

These should, I think, appear on whatever page the graphic links to.
On the graphic itself, perhaps something like "Hard problems, amazing
results", or another such line to evoke a sense of challenge.  This
could fit under the line "Contribute to Sage", in a slightly smaller
font (maybe black or dark grey, monospace, as a clue that we're
referencing coding problems).

-Niles

p.s. on the topic of graphics:  The Mandelbrot set is, I think, a
strong symbol for the role of computers in research mathematics.  The
Lorentz attractor is another one.