On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 4:59 PM, Simon King <simon.k...@uni-jena.de> wrote:
> No, I was mistaken. Everything can be traced back to g_gcd, which is
> called in sage.symbolic.expression.Expression.gcd. At that point, I
> lost track: I can not find the code of g_gcd (even "grep g_gcd" does
> not give me a hint). In particular, I did not change g_gcd, but it
> seems that my patch had a side effect on it.

g_gcd just calls "gcd" in the GiNaC library.  You can find the
reference to it in sage/libs/ginac/decl.pxi.  That function will in
turn use the py_gcd function in pynac.pyx for Sage types that it does
not know natively.  Suppose we have

sage: var('x,y')
(x, y)
sage: g = x^2*4
sage: f = x*y*6
sage: f.gcd(g)
2*x

Then, roughly speaking, "g_gcd" will be responsible for figuring out
the "x" part of the answer, and "py_gcd" will be called to figure out
the 2 part of the answer.

--Mike