On 01/29/10 01:08 AM, Alex Ghitza wrote:
On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 15:52:23 -0800 (PST), Sebastian Pancratz<s...@pancratz.org>
 wrote:
After reviving the work from last September/ October with some
significant help of Mike Hansen at Sage Days 19 a week ago, we finally
had a version of the patch that applied cleanly to 4.3.1.rc0 (plus the
three patches by Robert Bradshaw from #383) and, at least on my
machine and another departmental machine, passed all doctests.
However, when Alex Ghitza had a look at this, he noticed a doctest
failure with his setup.  It turns out that he can already produce an
error with the commands

     sage: R.<x>  = QQ[]
     sage: f = 3/2*x - 1/3
     sage: %time _ = f % f
     Error: unable to alloc/realloc memory

This is on 32-bit Arch Linux, with gcc 4.4.2.

I believe it is a 32-bit problem, because I'm not seeing the failure on
64-bit Arch Linux with the same gcc version.

By the way, if anyone wants access to the machine in question for
debugging purposes, that can be arranged by emailing me offlist.

Best,
Alex

It's not simply 32-bit issue, as my OpenSolaris system builds binaries by default to 32-bit. (A 64-bit version of Sage on Solaris is some way off). However, I don't see this issue:

sage: R.<x>  = QQ[]
sage: f = 3/2*x - 1/3
sage: %time _ = f % f
CPU times: user 0.00 s, sys: 0.00 s, total: 0.00 s
Wall time: 0.00 s
sage:

on my 32-bit build on OpenSolaris.

It might be specific to 32-bit ArchLinux of course.

Dave