On Mar 4, 3:13 pm, Tom Boothby <tomas.boot...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, and I think that Permutations should support exponentiation, too:
>
> sage: P = Permutation([1,2,3,4,5])
> sage: P^2
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> TypeError: unsupported operand type(s) for ** or pow():
> 'Permutation_class' and 'int'

> > sage: A = AlternatingGroup(4)
> > sage: a = A("(1,2,3)")
> > sage: type(a)
> > <type
> > 'sage.groups.perm_gps.permgroup_element.PermutationGroupElement'>
> > sage: a^-1
> > (1,3,2)
> > sage: a.inverse()
> > AttributeError                            Traceback (most recent call
> > last)
> > <snip>
> > AttributeError:
> > 'sage.groups.perm_gps.permgroup_element.PermutationGroupElement'
> > object has no attribute 'inverse'

Rob, anything you do to make permutations and groups work better
together - also including the various group algebra classes - would be
fantastic for some of the stuff I do, where I have to find convoluted
ways to get them to work together that I really don't know if I
understand properly (but give the right answers).

- kcrisman