On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 2:07 PM, Harald Schilly <harald.schi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> exactly how did you come up with 280 points?
> quoting to box on top:
> """There are obvious exceptions, such as the Linux kernel. Generally these
> exceptions work because they started out small and the community and code
> grew together. """
> Therefore I'm glad Sage started <17mb and grew slowly:
> http://sagemath.org/src-old/
>
> Besides that, your first two points are exactly the reasons why Sage needs
> this kind of isolation because there is no way to adopt to all variations of
> versions distributions are equipped with while still focusing on regular
> releases and maintaining quality.

The Sage project is now well over 6 years old, and steadily continues
to grow.    And it is built out of many components that are also more
longterm successful projects (e.g., R, Python, PARI, Singular, GAP,
etc.).

I do not think "and should explain why sage is not included and/or
built from sources in any major distro" is the criterion for success
for Sage, given our stated project goal, which is to provide a viable
free open source alternative to Maple, Mathematica, Magma, and Matlab.
  None of those systems are "included and/or built from source in any
major distro".

 -- William

--
William Stein