On 10 April 2011 13:10, Mag Gam <magaw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Oncer I build sage I plan to recompile numpy with Intel ICC because of
> the big performance boost using MKL. Has anyone tried this before?
> what sort of problems do you expect?

Lots of the code in Sage calls "gcc" directly, so even if you define
the environment variable CC to icc, this does not mean icc will be
always be used and gcc never used.

I've tried compiling various bits of Sage with the Sun studio
compiler, but that refuses to compile a lot of code in Sage. But I
think the Intel compiler aims to be more like gcc, and not strive for
compatibility with the C language, so you might be ok.

I just tried to use the Sun compiler to build Numpy, but it fails

RuntimeError: Broken toolchain: cannot link a simple C program

It seems to be sending a lot of GCC specific flags to the Sun compiler.

If you get problems, it might well be worth trying to build all of
Sage with the Intel compiler. Perhaps you might want to put something
like

$ ln -s /usr/bin/icc /tmp/gcc
PATH=/tmp:$PATH

to make sure you get the Intel compiler, even if "gcc" is invoked/

Let us know how you get on. I'd be interested to hear.

Dave