Hi there,

currently, MatrixSpace's zero_matrix command is implemented as follows:

    @cached_method
    def zero_matrix(self):
        res = self.__matrix_class(self, 0, coerce=False, copy=False)
        res.set_immutable()
        return res

which means that whenever on calls matrix(K,m,n) for the first time, it
creates two matrices which is a very very bad idea when working with big
matrices (== RAM full)

I found

and a few discussions about it on [sage-devel]. However, all those discussions
seem to assume that caching zero_matrix() is a good idea. Hence, I wonder if I
just missed the discussion or the reason on this?

In any case, there should at least be an option to disable this (say after
certain dimensions)?

Cheers,
Martin

--