On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 10:40:02 -0700
William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 10:08 AM, Andrey Novoseltsev
> <novos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have just looked over PARI citing discussion and recently I had a
> > talk with a developer of a software package X who was concerned that
> > inclusion of X into Sage will mean that people will stop giving
> > credit to X (and this developer in particular ;-)) Sometime ago
> > there were suggestions to somehow gather statistics on how many
> > times which function was called, which in practice does not seem
> > like a great idea due to performance hits and privacy issues.
> > Figuring out manually which components are used is somewhat boring
> > and actually quite hard.
> >
> > But how about this: suppose I have written a function f that does
> > what I need and I want to properly cite people and systems who made
> > it possible, but at the same time I am too busy/lazy to do much to
> > achieve it. However, I can do
> >
> > sage: uc = UsedComponents("f(75)")
>
> I believe Mike Hansen implemented something that does the above (using
> the profiler) already.  However, I don't remember if it is in Sage or
> not, or where to find it.

Maybe we should export this function to the top level namespace and put
an entry in the FAQ.

sage: from sage.misc.citation import get_systems
sage: get_systems("integrate(cos(x), x)")
['ginac', 'Maxima']

> If nothing else, it would be very nice if we had an entry in the
> database for each paper listed here:
>
>     http://sagemath.org/library-publications.html
>
> showing what systems are used.   For example, at would be good if
> somebody wrote a webform or something for submitting papers, and part
> of what it asked is for a list of systems used (and a command like you
> mention above would be suggested by the form).
> Then we could make it so after each entry in
> http://sagemath.org/library-publications.html there would be a little
> list of links for the components used, or a single link to a list of
> components for that paper, or maybe just a way of showing "all papers
> that use a given component".   Then when Karim B. of PARI complains
> "you don't cite us", we can respond with a link like:
>
>      http://sagemath.org/library-publications.html?system=pari
>
> that shows a nicely formatted list of papers all of which cite PARI.
> He can then include a link to this list in his grant proposals, etc.
> Many, many components of Sage (including Pari!?) don't have a page
> listing publications that used their system, so we would be providing
> a useful service to them.

Great idea! Such statistics would also help convince package authors
that Sage provides exposure for their project as well as a separate
(mathematical) test suite, regular build tests on many platforms and
in many cases bug fixes.

Like Andrey, I heard the FUD that "inclusion of X into Sage will mean
that people will stop giving credit to X." Maybe we should be more
proactive about this issue.

How about changing the credits() function to include a list of
components of Sage with links to their web pages and an example with
the get_systems() function?

Cheers,
Burcin