I think you may need to do `sage -f newspkg`, for one thing, to get the
modified spkg itself to get rebuilt/installed. As for dependencies, I am not
aware of any dependency-tracking mechanism for SPKGs - am I missing
something? If what you're installing is using Python's distutils to install
a Python library into Sage's local Python installation, then no, this will
not rebuild the distutils dependencies, I think. SPKGs are just dumb
tarballs with an installation script inside, unless I'm very much
mistaken...

-Keshav

----
Join us in #sagemath on irc.freenode.net !