Thanks for pointing out the media directory.

Here is the output from hg_sage.status() after adding the files (this
time adding the png files to the media directory).

***********************************
sage: hg_sage.status()
Getting status of modified or unknown files:
cd "/usr/local/sage-4.7/devel/sage" && hg status
M doc/en/thematic_tutorials/index.rst
? doc/en/thematic_tutorials/sandpile.rst

---

Branch: newdoc
*************************************

Trying to add the directory did not work for me (even after re-trying
with the full path name):

sage: hg_sage.add('doc/en/thematic_tutorials/media/sandpile/')
Adding file doc/en/thematic_tutorials/media/sandpile/
cd "/usr/local/sage-4.7/devel/sage" && hg add  "doc/en/
thematic_tutorials/media/sandpile/"
sage: hg_sage.status()
Getting status of modified or unknown files:
cd "/usr/local/sage-4.7/devel/sage" && hg status
M doc/en/thematic_tutorials/index.rst
? doc/en/thematic_tutorials/sandpile.rst

Adding each individual file separately worked, though:

sage: hg_sage.status()
Getting status of modified or unknown files:
cd "/usr/local/sage-4.7/devel/sage" && hg status
M doc/en/thematic_tutorials/index.rst
A doc/en/thematic_tutorials/media/sandpile/C_6-parallel.png
A doc/en/thematic_tutorials/media/sandpile/C_6.png
A doc/en/thematic_tutorials/media/sandpile/btw.png
A doc/en/thematic_tutorials/media/sandpile/example1.png
A doc/en/thematic_tutorials/media/sandpile/graph.png
A doc/en/thematic_tutorials/media/sandpile/initial.png
A doc/en/thematic_tutorials/media/sandpile/random.png
A doc/en/thematic_tutorials/sandpile.rst

Thanks!