[sage-devel] Re: Customizing hash for an instance of ?

Sat, 10 Sep 2011 04:26:48 -0700

Hi Maarten,

On 10 Sep., 13:17, Maarten Derickx <m.derickx.stud...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> But maybe you could explain why you want to override the __hash__ of
> particular instances

It's because I am currently collecting ideas of how to conveniently
add a fast hash to existing stuff in Sage. One idea was to add a fast
__hash__ directly to the instances. But that seems to be a failing
approach.

Meanwhile I am more or less able to write a function FastHash, that
takes a class as an input and returns "the same" class, but with a
Cythonised cached hash. I guess, on the level of instances,
self.__class__ = FastHash(self.__class__)  might work, and on the
level of classes, FastHash may be a metaclass. But I have to learn
about metaclasses first.

Best regards,
Simon