On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 08:46:05AM -0700, Michael Rubinstein wrote:

> I tried adding PySys_SetArgv(argc, argv); after Py_Initialize();
> It gets me further but then gives a strange error message:

> Unhandled SIGSEGV: A segmentation fault occurred in Sage.
> This probably occurred because a *compiled* component
> of Sage has a bug in it (typically accessing invalid memory)
> or is not properly wrapped with _sig_on, _sig_off.
> You might want to run Sage under gdb with 'sage -gdb' to debug this.
> Sage will now terminate (sorry).

I've just tried it here with your embed.c + PySys_SetArgv(argc, argv), and it
works for me when I link against libpython2.6 dynamically:

$ gcc -I$SAGE_LOCAL/include/python2.6 embed.c -lpython2.6  -lm -lutil -lpthread
-ldl -o embed
$ ./embed
1+1:
2
Load sage
Factor 2310:
2 * 3 * 5 * 7 * 11
$

This is 64 bit linux with sage 4.7.1rc1.

-Willem Jan