On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 10:48 AM, kcrisman <kcris...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Personally, I'm in favor of deprecating the solve(eq, x,y) or solve(list
>> of equations, x,y,z) syntax, and would prefer that the variables be
>> specified as a list:
>
> Backwards-incompatible, hence fodder for the mythical Sage 5.0 ...

(Aside, that has nothing to do with this particular solve issue.)

We deprecate after one year.  I think deprecation should have nothing
to do with "sage 5.0".  The policy, which we agreed on long ago is
deprecation after one year (minimum), except when there is a
compelling argument otherwise (e.g., combinat's pickles).

-- William

--
William Stein
Professor of Mathematics