On 4 Okt., 12:38, Alexander Dreyer
<alexander.dre...@itwm.fraunhofer.de> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
> I've had added the ability to use command line switches together with
> sage -pkg here:http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/11676
>
> For instance, you can write
>   sage -pkg -nocompress
> instead of sage -pkg_nc, which is the current way to do it.

We recently had some discussion regarding compression on #352 [1].

IMHO it doesn't make sense to not compress every spkg, i.e., having
all spkgs compressed by bzip2 or gzip is advantageous for two reason:

 * We save space even if some files in the tar are already compressed
(at least with gzip; with bzip2 the overhead -- if any -- is very low,
although gzip is also faster).

 * We get integrity checking / checksums without further changes and
without additional files. (We may have to support gzip in sage-spkg,
but the required changes are trivial.)

The drawback is that the need to decompress *every* spkg adds to the
CPU time (and the memory usage), but we have only a few spkgs that
currently are indeed plain tar files, and we would have almost the
same overhead if we computed and checked e.g. md5sums by ourselves, to
be stored separately, which complicates things.

-leif

[1] http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/329