On 1 Nov., 07:25, Jason Grout <jason-s...@creativetrax.com> wrote:
> To help diagnose this, it appears that select() has its own internal
> limit that is *not* affected by the number of open files set in ulimit.

The maximum is FD_SETSIZE, which is defined in <sys/select.h>.

Note that you can only use file descriptors from 0 to FD_SETSIZE-1 for
select(), since it uses bitsets.

>   Using this code:http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/816in order to
> determine this internal select() limit, I get a limit of 1024 file
> descriptors.  And, surprise, surprise, lsof of the sagenb.org process
> shows that there are around 1024 open file
> handles.http://daniel.haxx.se/docs/poll-vs-select.htmlseems to indicate that
> you can't redefine this limit in Linux.

You might be able to compile a kernel that supports more.  But the
error just indicates a poor, hardly scalable implementation, since
you'd usually simply use more processes to serve more clients, each
process using less file descriptors and hence not running into this
limit.

-leif