On Nov 15, 8:46 pm, Bill Janssen <bill.jans...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > One trivial thing you could do would be to build from source in /tmp/,
> > then just move your install to your home directory.  Sage supports
> > moving complete installs.
>
> That's basically what I am doing.  Still breaks because it's trying to
> do stuff in ~janssen/.sage/ as part of the build.  I can build with a
> local account, though, instead of my network account.
>
> Anyone tried to build this with MinGW (Minimal GNU for Windows) yet?

See http://groups.google.com/group/sage-windows for some threads which
discuss why (apparently) Cygwin is the best non-VM option, as well as
several threads here discussing why that might not be the case.  Also
see http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/wiki/CygwinPort for related
info, and many threads and tickets everywhere for the grief and/or
annoyance trying to get this to work has caused.

If you can get it to work on MinGW, that would be wonderful,
naturally!

- kcrisman