Hi Burcin,

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 03:48:10PM +0100, Burcin Erocal wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Nov 2011 15:10:54 +0100
> Florent Hivert <florent.hiv...@lri.fr> wrote:
>
> > > Pynac supports indexed expressions already. It just isn't wrapped in
> > > Sage yet. Again, there is an experimental patch available:
> > >
> > > http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/burcin/indexed_expression-20110727.patch
> > >
> > > Since you can wrap any hashable Python object in a symbolic
> > > expression with SR._force_pyobject(), this could replace your
> > > IndexedVarExpr class.
> > >
> > > I would appreciate any help with cleaning up these patches, adding
> > > doctests etc. so they can be merged. :)
> >
> > I'll try to cleanup this one, though I don't know anything about
> > Pynac's internal... Is there a lot more work to do than adding
> > doctests ?
>
> It should be only doctests, but you never know what comes up. :)
>
> I haven't looked at the patch in detail. I don't recall if any low
> level modification is needed. I'll be on IRC if you run into anything.

I'm at a conference so I don't have that much time working on it right
now. I'll probably have more time next week.

My two first attempts weren't successful: first of all, it seems that you
cannot index variables by any Python objects, only integers or sequences of
thereof. I typically want to put permutations, trees or group elements in
the index. Is that a limitation of Pynac or of your wrapper ?

Second, I got some Segfault so there is probably more work that only
doctest. I have to investigate more to get a simple reproducible behavior.
Can you check that I have the latest version of your patch: it is called:
    indexed_expression-20110727.patch
Beginning by
    # HG changeset patch
    # User Burcin Erocal <bur...@erocal.org>
    # Date 1278108459 -7200
    # Node ID c0f30b1b122da619e859c8f99492ab89938de153
    # Parent  57e08f919b352054d47c864bdcdaab3bc33692f2
With md5sum:
    edba1613640319fad746d8cf304f5f51

Cheers,

Florent