On Nov 17, 2011, at 4:21 AM, kcrisman wrote:

> See
> http://ask.sagemath.org/question/740/app-installation-problem-on-mac-os-x-lion
>
> Is it possible that Sage will work on Lion if compiled on Snow
> Leopard, but not the app?  At the same time, using the command line
> says that it can't find IPython.

Anything is possible. :-)  After reading the question it looks like the app was
a problem for one person and not the other. There may be a problem with the
actual app itself, or with one of the scripts that it uses.  I have asked on
the question for some help differentiating between the two.

> Any ideas on this?  Apparently the Mac app is getting more and more
> popular (thanks, Ivan!) but it would be a shame if this was a
> problem.  I do not have access to Lion myself.

I don't have access to Lion either, and given that Sage doesn't build there yet
I'm reluctant to upgrade.

If someone would like to rebuild the app on Lion to see if that's the problem
that would be great.  I think if you just run

SAGE_APP_BUNDLE=yes SAGE_APP_DMG=no sage -bdist

it should build a new application without recompiling sage.

An easier way, for someone familiar with xcode, would be to
open $SAGE_ROOT/data/extcode/sage/ext/mac-app/Sage.xcodeproj/
and then build.  In the app's options you will then have to set what sage
executable to use (actually, it should prompt you if it doesn't have one).

If that solves the problem then we've narrowed it down.  If not then well, I
guess we've narrowed it down as well.  If it doesn't compile for some reason,
then I guess I'll have to get access to Lion.

If anyone wants to try this feel free to contact me on or off list, or IRC (I
don't usually hang out there so ask me).  I live in Budapest so I'm awake when
it's daytime there. :-)

-Ivan

P.S. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.  I check ask.sagemath
periodically, but so far I think I've missed all the questions about the Mac
application. :-(