It has worked for me too, on both VirtualBox in a 64 bit Vista host
and
on the same physical machine (AMD laptop) in its own partition.
I am currently trying to get a cantor front end working with
matplotlib,
but sage itself and the notebook work just fine.

I should add that as a total newbie I follow the install guide
TO THE LETTER !!! and don't skip any steps or make any assumptions.

I have had occasional hang ups, but overcame those by nullifying the
parallel build, I type;
  export MAKE='make -j1'