Juanjo, it sounds like you want to read

http://www.sagemath.org/doc/developer/producing_spkgs.html

and

http://www.sagemath.org/doc/developer/patching_spkgs.html

Because Sage may sometimes have custom patches to ECL that weren't in
upstream at the time but are now, I don't know if it can be done 100%
automatically.  But what you *could* do is the following:

Download the latest ECL spkg ecl-x.y.z.spkg
Untar it
Replace the src/ directory with the new source
Rename the ecl-x.y.z directory to ecl-w.v.u
Forget about anything else (you're not making a new spkg really, just
testing this)
sage -pkg ecl-w.v.u/
sage -f ecl-w.v.u.spkg
sage -f maxima

and see what happens.

If you look at the SPKG.txt in the ECL in the current Sage alphas
(available at http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/11884) you
will see that we'd like to eventually have the test suite (optionally)
run as well.  It shouldn't be too hard to make an spkg-check for this,
I guess.

However, I don't see that you'd be able to "just test ECL" inside of
Sage, because of the very specific config and deleting of tons of
stuff we don't use, and linking against Sage-specific things.

I'd be happy to talk off-list about how to do some of this, though I
am not exactly an expert so it wouldn't be super-efficient.  We all
learn on the job, though.

> > Somebody has suggested me that there is a way to get ECL automatically
> > built and tested on the platforms that Sage support. Something like a
> > buildbot.
> > For your information, building ECL with a preinstalled copy of GMP takes
> > about 5 minutes on a modern computer, and testing it takes about 7 minutes
> > -- times going down due to various optimizations nowadays. ECL from git/CVS
> > downloads its tests from the internet, but this can be solved by placing
> > the appropriate tarballs in the ecl/src/test/ directory. Apart from that, I
> > believe it is a rather self-contained and easy to build library.
> > Does this all sound reasonable? Any volunteer?
>
> Unfortunately I do not have the knowledge to do any of those things,
> but I hope someone with the required knowledge will help to get
> something like this set up. ECL is a tremendously valuable component
> to get Sage's calculus functionality (limits and integration) up to
> par via maxima and this would be a great chance for the sage community
> to give something back to ECL. It would also mean that the main ECL
> developer could be made aware of changes in ECL that affect its use
> with Sage, easing our upgrades of ECL. I'm willing to do some work on
> this, but as I said, I don't know anything about Sage's buildbots.

Aren't there some other Sage-related projects which have access to
some of these machines?