My vote:

[X] Yes, remove them!

Somewhat coincidentally, Jason and I were looking at this today.  The
express summary is that Jason and I have put together a patch today that
solves the FlaskNB+HTTPS problem (caused by an attempt to use TLS with the
latest Twisted 2), and to do so it rips out GnuTLS dependencies in exchange
for adding in PyOpenSSL dependencies.

Some more details for those who are interested:

There is no good way to support GnuTLS without continuing to maintain a
patched version of Twisted.  See the 3rd (and last) post in this thread
from a Twisted developer who said GnuTLS support would be a long way off
(post from 14 months ago):

http://twistedmatrix.com/pipermail/twisted-python/2010-October/022988.html

For the record, the second post in that thread suggested we could get TLS
support by adding:

    ssl:443:sslmethod=TLSv1_METHOD

to the Twisted "strports" configuration in run_notebook.py, as follows:

    strport =
'ssl:443:sslmethod=TLSv1_METHOD:%s:%s:interface=%s:privateKey=%s:certKey=%s' ...

grep for strport in run_notebook.py for details, or google for "twisted
ssl:443:sslmethod" if you want more details on this.

Unfortunately this doesn't solve the problem -- looks like it throws off
the mini-parser for strports, and whether I put it at the start or end of
the string I get weird errors that don't seem worth looking into.  What
we're doing is a variation on the patches provided on github in June 2011:

    https://github.com/cschwan/sage-on-gentoo/issues/63

Cheers,

Ian