On Thursday, January 19, 2012 4:07:21 PM UTC-8, Dr. David Kirkby wrote:

> I don't see any reference to "system library"

Fine, replace it with library "of the operating system on which the
executable runs".

and I certainly would have thought
> "totally insignificant" and "major" to have different meanings.

They do. My point being that "major" in the GPL text refers to other
"components" and not to the library "of the operating system on which the
executable runs". The library of the operating system on which the
executable runs only needs to be shipped with the major components, not be
one of the major components.

Clearly OpenSSL is not shipped as part of the OS for many.

Even Debian comes with openssl, so arguably thats not true. And the GPL
doesn't require any minimum popularity of the operating system on which the
executable runs. But thats all besides the point. If the distribution
doesn't have openssl, then prebuilt Sage binaries will necessarily not link
to openssl.