> As for global defaults, it's nice for both examples and debugging for
> there to be as little global state as possible, and someone who wants
> RDF for reals probably wants CDF for complexes. The consistency
> argument is a good one, but changing matrix(...) would be much more
> invasive, and both defaults have their pros and cons, so the simpler
> syntax could be used for the simpler (i.e. more basic user that
> doesn't want to care about baserings but just wants to slice and dice
> some matrices) default.

I agree that having very little global state is good, but right now I
don't think that Sage is succeeding very well in our mission to
provide a viable alternative to Matlab.  I would like to see more
users to Sage who care about floating point linear algebra, and I
think it's worth having some global state if we can attract such
people by making it easier to create matrices with floats.
David