My apologies if I have missed a reference to this elsewhere; it's late
and I didn't search as thoroughly as I might have, though I did
search.

Found while reviewing #11977:

sage: matrix_plot(matrix(2,[1,2,3,4]))
dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/X11/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib
  Referenced from: /usr/X11/bin/fc-list
  Reason: Incompatible library version: fc-list requires version
13.0.0 or later, but libfreetype.6.dylib provides version 10.0.0
dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/X11/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib
  Referenced from: /usr/X11/bin/fc-list
  Reason: Incompatible library version: fc-list requires version
13.0.0 or later, but libfreetype.6.dylib provides version 10.0.0

The graphic still appears.  Not sure why my X11 is being referenced,
though.

Now see
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4175411/plotting-with-octave-after-most-recent-mac-osx-update,
in particular the answer which reads
++
We updated freetype in OSX 10.6.5 and fontconfig, which links against
freetype, wants this newer version. Gnuplot is failing to load because
their developers are setting DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH which is forcing our
libfontconfig to try using their libfreetype, which it cant.

This is a bug in Gnuplot.app ... developers should NEVER be setting
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH in shipping products!
++
The Octave fix listed was
++
 DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH="${ROOT}/lib:${DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH}"

 DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH="${ROOT}/lib"
++

There has been a fair amount of discussion about this, of course.
Anyway, wanted to point this out.  I don't think this is a new bug,
though I hadn't seen it before just now using 5.0.beta1; I don't get
it in 4.8 or 4.7.2.

- kcrisman