First, like Simon said: "But I wouldn't be so mean to prevent other
people from using it."  But I have trouble getting too excited about
this new syntax.  What we have works well for me and for my students.

Second, I agree strongly when William said:  "I'm more for
*consistency* between the matrix command the matrix notation...."

Third, Marshall said:  "This makes it easier to win over people used
to Matlab."  Jason did a nice job of implementing matrices over RDF/
CDF so that SciPy/NumPy routines are trivial to wrap.  (Doctesting
them is another story.)  I did a lot of this last spring when I had
the time, with a lot of help from Martin Raum and others.  Continuing
to build out a full suite of numerical routines for RDF/CDF matrices
would go even further toward being a viable alternative to Matlab.

Rob