Le 02/02/2012 23:22, Jonathan Bober a écrit :
Can you think of a reason that the answer should change? Does maxima use
less that 53 bits of precision ever?

Well, if I don't err, $10^{17}$ has 18 decimal digits, which is more than the 15,95.. that fit in 53 binary digits.

In any case, let me repeat : three of the four failing numerical tests pass if I add a relative tolerance of 1e-15... the only remaining one is the computation of $\Gamma(10)$, where the relative error is 1.2832...e-15, for which I don't know if it's acceptable or not, but doesn't look that crazy.

Snark on #sagemath