On 02/08/12 16:13, Jeroen Demeyer wrote:
> On 2012-02-08 18:40, Jean-Pierre Flori wrote:
>> In some packages, we already have some "dependencies" section.
>> I guess this could be used (or put somewhere else in the spkg) and
>> then used by Sage (and not the spkg-install script itself, just as
>> what is done with SAGE_CHECK variable and spgk-check script) to check
>> for dependencies.
>
> Seems like a lot of work for little gain.  I'm not in favour.

Not to beat a dead horse (in fact, I've come to appreciate how easy it
is to patch e.g. Maxima), but with a monolithic distribution, I only see
two possible extremes:

  * Out-of-tree packages don't work reliably

  * You essentially become a distro, supplying your own package
    management.

Somewhere in between there's probably at least a local maximum; my guess
is that letting autotools notice the missing deps is that spot.