Hi Simon,

Thanks.  The new version compiled without any problems.  So back
to looking at these groups with really powerful tools.  Jon,
Alex and I did a lot of these calculations by hand some 15 years
back, including most of the analysis needed for M_{24} mod 2.
But determining the invariant subrings of the cohomology of
the various key elementary 2-groups was beyond us then.

Thanks again.  From your description it sounds like you had
to make some major changes to get it to work with the current
version of sage.

Jim