On 02/11/12 02:57 PM, Jason Grout wrote:
So I'd support adding openssl-dev as a requirement of Sage.

That probably means a lot more users would need to be root to install Sage, since if the development headers are not present, they would have a bit of a problem.

I believe also OpenSSL does not exactly have a great reputation for backwards compatibility, with it sometimes being necessary to have specific versions.

See
http://linuxtesting.org/upstream-tracker/versions/openssl.html

or see

http://rs79.vrx.net/interests/computers/sw/openssl/

where it says:

"Openssl 0.96 and 0.97 are not backward compatible. If you have an ancient version of 0.9.6 you should install the last good version of 0.9.6. Otherwise you have to recompile things like Apache to know about 0.9.7."

I've never followed the development closely, or had any particular interest in OpenSSL, but to me at least it would be a bad decision to insist on OpenSSL, whilst trying to keep other Sage goals (GPL, non-root builds etc).

Dave