On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 10:15 PM, Dr. David Kirkby
<david.kir...@onetel.net> wrote:
> On 02/15/12 05:58 AM, William Stein wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> A student in my class (Andrey Sarantsev) just pointed out to me that
>> in Sage-4.8 and Sage-5.0, we have
>>
>> sage: I^(0.5)
>> None
>>
>> What?  That's not good.
>>
>> I'm not just putting this on trac, because I don't even know how to
>> search for whether this is there already.  This seems like it should
>> be a blocker bug.
>>
>>  -- William
>>

> Put me out of my misery. What is sqrt(i), and why? I've only ever raised i
> (or j as us engineers use) to integer powers.

For starters, sqrt(i) is a number whose square is i, and engineers
know what "squaring" is.

If you write a complex number z in polar coordinates as z =
rho*exp(I*theta) and alpha is real number, a common choice for the
meaning of z^alpha is

   z^alpha = rho^(alpha) * exp(I*theta*alpha)

We have I = exp(I*pi/2), so I^(1/2) = exp(I*pi/4).  In terms of the
standard picture, it's a point on the unit circle at a 45 degree angle
from the x-axis.

sage: CC(I^(1/2))
0.707106781186548 + 0.707106781186547*I

William