On 28 Feb., 14:14, Harald Schilly <harald.schi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So, first of all ask yourself if you are able to be a mentor. This is
> someone who works with a motivated student during the summer, helps
> him or her to setup and understand everything, etc. Also, each project
> should have at least one backup mentor.
> Second, what projects do you have planned -- or asked differently,
> what are you currently working on and is there a way you can use some
> help?

Below I've written down two projects. I do not know, whether those
projects fit to GSOC, but if yes, I would do mentoring on those (and
I'm also confident finding a backup mentor).

1. I'm working on a framework for numeral systems. Numeral
systems mean representing numbers (e.g. integers) by digits and a
base. Standard numeral systems such as binary and decimal are
well known, but there are lots of others.
AFAIK Sage uses a standard double-and-add algorithm to
build multiples of a point of an elliptic curve. But there are
numeral systems (including windowing techniques), which can be
used for fast scalar-multiplication on elliptic curves. I want to
include that in Sage.

2. Sage should have a lattice class, that can be populated with
lattice algorithms available. Those include algorithms for
- finding a good base,
- finding all vectors with a given upper length,
- calculating the successive minima,
- calculating lattice invariants,
- calculating the Voronoi cell of the lattice,
- solving closest vector problems.
Lattices arise in many different areas of mathematics, so it would
be good to have the existing algorithms together in one place and
something to implement new algorithms.