On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 9:32 AM, Michael Orlitzky <mich...@orlitzky.com> wrote:
> On 03/02/12 11:46, William Stein wrote:
>>
>> On Mar 2, 2012 1:04 AM, "Robert Bradshaw" <rober...@math.washington.edu
>> <mailto:rober...@math.washington.edu>> wrote:
>> .
>>>
>>> I think the vast majority of spkgs should be vanilla upstream, and for
>>> those that we do patch, they're likely bugfixes that should make their
>>> way upstream. But that leaves several packages that we still need to
>>> patch (either sage-specific changes, or because the
>>> upstream-patch-release process is too slow). We can't simply not
>>> support this.
>>
>> Moreover, "upstream" includes a huge number of versions of Linux
>> distributions, versions of OS X, Solaris, etc.  It is only by caring
>> about actual users (who usually don't have root) that one can begin to
>> comprehend the problem a monolithic distribution of Sage solves.
>>

> That's fine. Somebody else already did this work ten years ago. You
> stick PATCHES="foo.patch bar.patch" in an ebuild, and they're applied
> automatically. No more custom patch code in every spkg-install: error
> handling is done automatically, and best of all, somebody else maintains
> this. If the patches are upstream fixes, they can go in Gentoo proper if
> the Gentoo maintainer hasn't already put them there.

By "Gentoo" do you mean "Gentoo prefix" [1] everywhere in this message?

Does it concern you that the support matrix at [1] gives a seemingly low mark
"ok" (instead of good/excellent) for many important Sage platforms?

Do you think Gentoo prefix really and completely solves the problems
you have with Sage being distributed monolithically?

[1] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/prefix/

--
William Stein
Professor of Mathematics