On Sunday, March 11, 2012 8:46:55 PM UTC-7, Starx wrote:

> The patchbot is reporting a doctest failure in a patch of mine:
> http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/12630#comment:10
>
> The failure itself is completely benign, "a + b" is being returned
> when "b + a" is expected, but the addition is commutative anyway.  So
> I'm not so concerned with the particular error as I am confused about
> what one does when patchbot is getting different results than I am
> because I just built a brand new copy of 5.0.beta7 and doctested my
> patch and got no errors (OSX 10.6.8 if that matters).
>
> Should I change the doctest so that it it will pass for patchbot even
> though it fails for me?  Or should I assume something is funky with
> patchbot and set the ticket back to needs_review with a comment about
> the issue?

Answers like this can be platform-dependent, unless you have set up the
print representation of the ring elements to be sorted somehow. So try it
on a few different platforms (Mac, Linux, Solaris if you can).  In this
case, if you don't implement any sorting when you print things, and if Sage
knows about the names a and b, you can change

   sage: y
   b+a

   sage: y == a+b
   True