On Mar 15, 3:42 pm, Harald Schilly <harald.schi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, March 15, 2012 3:55:34 PM UTC+1, William wrote:
>
> > "sage.media.wav"
>
> ah, i wasn't even aware of that. good idea to remove it if it is just dead
> code.
>
> i actually reply because i was thinking about some more general "audio
> processing" capabilities of sage. e.g. loading soundfiles, generating
> sounds out of formulas, in various ways, exporting them, and even doing
> manipulations like adding files together or more advanced things like
> changing the speed - with and without chainging the pitch. also some
> visualizations.
> and on top of it all: using html5's audio capabilites to play it in the
> notebook :-)

I have tried that a bit while tinkering on an outreach lecture on
tunings. I used the audioop standard module for basic plumbing and a
pipe to sox to play the sounds (so, not using html5's sound
capability, but once you have an audiofile that would be trivial) real-
time. To actually produce the waveforms, I ended up writing some
cython to produce the right bytestrings (really "wordstrings" of
course).

For advertising reasons it might be interesting to have a special sage-
module for this stuff, but for actual functionality I think you can
cobble together something from standard python components quite
easily. Anything that really touches the data will have to be in
cython, though, because at, say, 48KHz sampling rate, the data gets
bulky quite quickly.

What I was really looking for is software that can play, say, a MIDI
file in various tunings.  There is http://www.huygens-fokker.org/scala/
but I haven't been able to get that to produce sound yet.