I found the documentation of the "uncertainties" package.  It is not as
powerful as using the general expression I provided above inside Sage
because there is only a limited set of analytical derivatives the package
knows about and then it uses a robust digital differentiation scheme for
other functions.  Thus the package only provides numerical derivatives.
 Since the analytical expression is important to scientists working on
novel measurements, this would only be useful for routine error propagation
of standard measurements.  Sage has a finite set of analytical derivatives
as well, but it is pretty extensive.

That said, integrating the uncertainties package into Sage would probably
be useful to many scientists and engineers.

Jonathan