So I planned to build a new copy of 4.8 and then try out -upgrade to
get beta11... but I couldn't build 4.8!!  I got the following after
the build:

Testing that Sage starts...
[2012-03-28 22:52:38] Sage version 4.8, released 2012-01-20

Unhandled SIGSEGV: A segmentation fault occurred in Sage.
This probably occurred because a *compiled* component of Sage has a bug
in it and is not properly wrapped with sig_on(), sig_off(). You might
want to run Sage under gdb with 'sage -gdb' to debug this.
Sage will now terminate.
local/bin/sage-sage: line 766: 20815 Segmentation fault      sage-eval "$@"
Sage failed to start up.
Please email sage-devel (http://groups.google.com/group/sage-devel)
explaining the problem and send the log file
  /Users/Starx/sage-dev/start.log
Describe your computer, operating system, etc.
make: *** [start] Error 1

The log file it mentions has the same message.  I'm running OSX 10.6.8
on a MacBook Pro.  I've built sage before so I don't know why it wont
work now.

-Jim

--
Die Dunkelheit... leitet die Musik.