Hi Volker,

On 2012-04-17, Volker Braun <vbraun.n...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ------=_Part_58_7237663.1334687133477
>
> In the very recently
> merged http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/11599, I updated the
> scheme homset stuff to new-style parents etc. This is probably the reason
> for the minor slow-down.

I think a slow-down from 35 seconds to 56 seconds is severe. Thank you
for the pointer!

According to the prun analysis, the element constructor defined in line
815 is to blame. It does nothing more than
        if len(v) == 1:
            v = v[0]
        return self.codomain()._point(self.extended_codomain(), v, **kwds)

So, since the overhead of __call__ over _element_constructor_ seems to
be relatively small, I guess we have to look further to the _point
or extended_codomain methods.

Cheers,
Simon