I answered this partly in your off-list message to me.  I can divide
the binaries into 3 classes (but the boundaries are not so clear):

(1) mwrank (needed to be installed for Sage; none of the others are)
(2) programs which *I* need to be installed when I do "make install"
on my machine
(3) everything else, let's call them "tests" which are used as tests
but not for real work.

For simplicity I merged (2) and (3), and made "make install" install
(1)+(2)+(3) by default, with a non-default option causing only (1) to
be installed, as in the Sage install.

On 4 May 2012 09:34, Julien Puydt <julien.pu...@laposte.net> wrote:
> Le mercredi 23 février, John Cremona a écrit:
>> The source for eclib is now at eclib.googlecode.com.
>
> The tests seem to be considered as normal programs -- hence installed
> when typing "make install".
>
> If that's not the intent, you should use "noinst_PROGRAMS" instead of
> "bin_PROGRAMS" in tests/Makefile.am.
>
> If that is the intent, then it is annoying, since for example "tred"
> is also the name of a graphviz program. :-/

If thta's the only problem I could rename it -- its name means
"test-reduce" and acts both as a test program and also as a useful one
(if you like to reduce integral binary quartics, at least).

john