On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 8:27 AM, Jonathan <gu...@uwosh.edu> wrote:
> Yes, I made a typo..Thanks for realizing what I meant.
>
> However, I still think that a solution that has complex answers is OK.  If
>  you are finding the symbolic solution isn't it better to find the general
> solution and then deal with specific cases?  I don't see what is wrong with:
> p = (-A)^(1/B), even when B = 2 and A > 0.  This just means p =
> (+/-)sqrt(-A). I just don't see any problem with having two possible
> answers, even if they are complex.  Is the problem that Maxima is trying to
> solve the problem restricting it to RR?
>
> I believe this is a case where Sage should try to catch this kind of Maxima
> error and allow the user to get the general answer without having to drop
> into Maxima.
>
> So, I am arguing that Sage really should return: p = (-A)^(1/B) in cases
> like this and that when Maxima asks a question, we need a better explanation
> for the user of how to respond.
>
> Jonathan

Well, I agree. I guess I was trying to say that a solution, if one
exists, depends on the context (the underlying ring and also the
values of A and B) so I don't think it's unreasonable for Maxima to
ask for more information before giving an apparent solution which may
or may not really exist.

Mathematica seems to agree with you to:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=solve+A+%2B+p%5EB+%3D+0+for+p

I definitely agree that Sage could be more helpful here as the middle
man. I wonder if Maxima has any flags related to this, e.g.
`return_purely_symbolic_solutions = true` would return `[ p =
(-A)^(1/B) ]` and we could wrap this flag as an option to solve?

--
Benjamin Jones