On Jun 7, 10:29 pm, Rob Beezer <goo...@beezer.cotse.net> wrote:
> I would be in favor of a right kernel matrix having its vectors as
> columns.  It looks like this would save some transposes on the exit from
> the actual routines doing the computations.

That would be the *ONLY* reason. In general it seems that Sage vectors
have a slight preference to being row vectors (if you pass "matrix" a
list of vectors, they are interpreted as rows), so returning a matrix
with the appropriate row space is quite defendable. Sage vectors are a
bit ambivalent towards their orientation as can be seen how they
behave wrt multiplication on either side of a matrix.

For applications of right_kernel_matrix, it's a complete toss-up
whether you need the rows or the transpose of that. Kernels are just
as often used to find a complement of a subspace as they are to
compute a matrix with prescribed (left)kernel. So, we should just do
what is most efficient, subject to being consistent.

(In fact I ran into the fact that left_kernel_matrix was missing
because I wanted to compute a matrix with prescribed right kernel)