On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 11:49 AM, Robert Bradshaw
<rober...@math.washington.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 7:03 PM, Jason Grout
> <jason-s...@creativetrax.com> wrote:
>> On 6/18/12 8:05 PM, John H Palmieri wrote:
>>>
>>> On Monday, June 18, 2012 3:34:15 AM UTC-7, Nathann Cohen wrote:
>>>
>>>     Helloooooooooo everybody !!!
>>>
>>>     Our graph files are getting quite large, and there is in some
>>>     situations a way to make it shorter : we can define some functions
>>>     in modules and import them in the Graph class afterwards.
>>>

>>> The matrix class is large, and is basically broken up into three (or
>>> four) files: matrix0.pyx, matrix1.pyx, matrix2.pyx (and matrix.pyx).
>>> Maybe you could use that approach.
>>

>> And there has been discussion that it was broken up because of limitations
>> in Cython from long ago, and it should be recombined again.
>>
>> Personally, it's a bit confusing to try to find which method is in which
>> file when you're trying to change something...
>
> +1

-1

I'm in fact surprised by Robert's +1.

This suggestion is very ironic, because the "limitation" that caused
me to have to break up the files in the first place is that it takes a
*long* time to compile the autogenerated code.  That certainly hasn't
changed -- if anything, things are worse now, since Cython generates
even more code.  Recombining them will only make it much more painful
to work on these files.

If anything, it would be good to break them up even further, but in
some logical way.  The main improvements in Cython over the years are
that it is much, much easier to break big code into smaller files.

Doctesting is also bad when you have one big file.  I'm against having
a 20,000 line .pyx file in Sage, which is exactly what you're
proposing.   The autogenerated C code would be over 100,000 lines.
One file.

 -- William

--
William Stein