On 6 September 2012 01:11, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Sage Devs,

Hi

> Due to generous funding for this purpose, I'm planning to again
> organize 4 Bug Days in the next year, and would like to start a thread
> to discuss what/when/where/how.

If you have one in the UK, I'll probably come along, but as I said
before, I'm not flying economy class to the USA.

> Please share any thoughts at all
> *you* might have about how best to squeeze value out of the idea of
> Bug Days workshops.

I think it would be good if the coding stopped once the bug was
solved. I can imagine it being all too easy to solve a bug, then
continue with that bit of code adding lots of functionality. The
latter could well introduce bugs. So if the idea is to squash bugs,
then I'd limit it to just that.

>  This could range from places to have them, to
> categories of bugs you might want to work on...  This will help me in
> coming up with a plan for this year.
>
>  -- William

I'd love to see that Pynac bug that is causing Sage to dump core on
Solaris in 64-bit mode.

It appears that things are being done in Pynac which should not be
done, with things being called before they are initialized. There's a
patch at

to do lazy import, but William noticed that caused loads of doctest
failures, so it has stalled.

One more thing, and I doubt William will agree with this. But IMHO if
you have some bug days, it would be nice to create a release after the
bug day which only fixes the bugs - no new functionality. That should
produce a very stable Sage.

Dave

http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/11116#comment:14