I tried to build sage 5.2 from source but it failed when installing python-2.7.
I figured that python did not find some modules since they were actually not
installed (but they were built!) into the sage tree.

Here is a relevant part of install.log:
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/sage/sage-5.2/spkg/build/python-2.7.3.p0/src'
Testing importing of various modules...
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
ImportError: No module named math
math module failed to import
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/home/sage/sage-5.2/local/lib/python2.7/hashlib.py", line 141, in
<module>
    import logging
  File "/home/sage/sage-5.2/local/lib/python2.7/logging/__init__.py", line 26,
in <module>
    import sys, os, time, cStringIO, traceback, warnings, weakref
ImportError: No module named time
hashlib module failed to import
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
ImportError: No module named crypt
crypt module failed to import
Error: One or more modules failed to import.

real    4m50.410s
user    2m41.258s
sys     0m39.538s
Error installing package python-2.7.3.p0

However, I found the missing modules in
spkg/build/python-2.7.3.p0/src/build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.7 and copied them into
local/lib/python/lib-dynaload where I found them in my previous installation.
Now the building process continued (it's not done yet, so we will see).

However, I did not figure out why these libraries have not been installed.
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Stephan