Daniel Smertnig <daniel.smert...@gmail.com> writes:
> AFAIK the only reason 5.3 shipped with pyOpenSSL 0.12 was that 0.13
> has problem with older OpenSSL versions (<0.9.8f or something). This
> is not an issue on Ubuntu, so pyOpenSSL 0.13 should be safe to use.
> Of course, if you don't upgrade, the SSL notebook will not work out
> of the box (but I think this will be similar in Sage 5.4).

Yes, the only reason 5.3 shipped with pyOpenSSL 0.12 rather than 0.13 is
because of the issue you stated - 0.13 failed to build on one of our
buildbots which had an old OpenSSL version.

5.4 will not include pyOpenSSL at all, though. We have made sagenb not
depend on pyOpenSSL anymore. If you still want to install it, `sage -i
pyOpenSSL` will download and install an SPKG of pyOpenSSL 0.13, patched
to support old versions of OpenSSL. This should work on older versions
of Sage as well, I believe.

-Keshav

----
Join us in #sagemath on irc.freenode.net !