The reason is that q_expansion_basis returns power series and not modular
forms:

sage: M = ModularForms(Gamma0(17), 4)
sage: M.basis()[0].parent()
Modular Forms space of dimension 6 for Congruence Subgroup Gamma0(17) of
weight 4 over Rational Field
sage: M.basis()[0] in M
True
sage: M.q_expansion_basis()[0].parent()
Power Series Ring in q over Rational Field